Thursday, March 8, 2012

Struggles

I think that sometimes when people blog or post things about their life and/or family on Facebook they post only the good. I think people want their life to appear great and don't want others to know about their struggles. With that being said, I plan on showing both the good and not so good sides of our lives in this blog.  Recently one of my biggest struggles is Want Vs Need. I'm sure everyone deals with this to some degree. Here are a few of the specific things i'm dealing with:

NEW COOK TOP- Do I want one? Yes. Do we need one? Depends....ours is twenty years old, not all the eyes work, and it doesn't match the other appliances. But does it work enough to cook our food? Yes. So do I need the new cook top just b/c ours is old and doesn't fully work or is it a want b/c  it works enough to get the job done.

UPDATING THE HOUSE- Do I want to do projects around the house to make it nicer? Yes. Do I need to do these projects? No. Our house is twenty plus years old. The foundation and bones of the house are great. The cabinets, counter tops, appliances, and so on could definitely use some updating. I'm constantly thinking of little things I can do or buy to make it feel more homey or fit my taste better.

NEW CLOTHES- Do I want new clothes? Of course. Do I need new clothes? Depends.....most of the ones I have don't fit. I lost most of my baby weight or at least it shifted so that only some of my clothes fit. Does that mean I need to buy more? Technically I have clothes that I can wear even though I don't like them anymore or they don't fit how I want them to. But I would love to have some cute new work clothes or clothes for our family beach trip in May.

EATING OUT- Do I want to eat out every Thursday? Yes. I thoroughly enjoy my day off from cooking. Do we need to eat out? No. We have groceries at the house. I buy about two weeks worth the groceries at a time. I buy meals to cook and then extras like pizza rolls or chicken nuggets for nights when I don't really feel like cooking. So no we don't need to go out to eat. We need to save that money. But sometimes I let the thought creep into my head that its good for my sanity..... to not have to worry about whats for dinner or worry about cooking something that will please everyone.

There are several other things that I know are strictly wants yet I still  hope to get oneday....... Grant a trampoline for his birthday, a bigger vehicle to haul the family, and some bushes/ flowers for the yard. I realize for the most part the difference between my wants and my needs for our family. However it is still a hard struggle wanting to spend money we really don't have, on things we really don't need.

No comments:

Post a Comment