Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Grant's surgery

Yesterday we had our first experience with one of our children being put to sleep. Grant's pee pee hole was not big enough, to be blunt. I can't remember the medical terms but basically they put him to sleep and cute his hole. I was very nervous for him. I thought he would be in a lot of pain and all doped up afterwards. Apparently kids are more resilient then I thought.
We had to be at the hospital at 6am. They were very quick about taking up back and getting things started. They gave Grant some liquid medicine that made him drowsy. It took about ten minutes before he started talking all crazy. He was hilarious. Andrew and I laughed. He was seeing double and making funny faces. The doctors took him back and gave him the "goofy gas" to get him asleep. Once asleep they put in his IV and his anesthesia. The procedure only took about ten minutes. The worst part was when he woke up from the anesthesia. He was disoriented and cried a good bit. The doctors assured me he wasn't in pain, just reacting to the medicine. Grant finally calmed down and went back to sleep. When he woke up he was fine. We had to wait until he peed before we could leave. Of course, the first time was painful but he finally went and we left the hospital around lunch. I'm so proud of Grant. He didn't freak out or anything. Sometimes he seems so much older then three. Being the mom that I am, I took several pictures to remember our first surgery.
 on our way at 5am

right before the medicine kicked in

look at my IV mom

watching cartoons

after the goofy medicine...seeing double




No comments:

Post a Comment